The following list outlines the critical pasture limits for production and environmental protection:
• To maintain maximum pasture growth, have a:
– Minimum pasture mass of 1,000kg green DM/ha
– Maximum pasture mass limit of 2,500kg green DM/ha
• To optimise pasture performance through the year and minimise pasture decline, have a:
– Maximum total pasture mass of 1,500kg DM/ha prior to the autumn break to promote clover germination and growth and to maximise tillering of perennial grasses.
– Minimum pasture mass during the growing season of around 1,000kg DM/ha for high pasture quality and yield.
• To prevent water and wind erosion and protect the resource base:
– Minimum residual pasture mass of around 800kg DM/ha depending on pasture density.
– Depending on rainfall (pattern and intensity) and soil type, maintain at least 70% ground cover (including leaf, dead and litter material plus dung) on grazed lower to middle slopes (land class 3); and, a minimum of 100% on non-arable upper to steep slopes (land class 4 and 5).